Donald Trump’s pick for Secretary of Education was confirmed in the most bitter confirmation in modern times.
She was the first Cabinet nominee to win confirmation with a tie-breaking vote from the Vice President, since the US Senators split 50-50, with two Republicans defecting and voting against her.
Why were so many forces against DeVos as the next Secretary of Education?
She wants every kid to receive the best education:
- She is a vocal and experienced advocate for school choice
- She actively promotes and supports private schools
- She has funded and expanded vouchers for students to enroll in private schools with public money
- She has helped open and direct public charter schools throughout the country
In short, DeVos opposes the current, government-run status quo of American education.
Whom does the status quo benefit, and thus who opposes DeVos?
- Teachers unions—American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten said the following about DeVos:
“In nominating DeVos, Trump makes it loud and clear that his education policy will focus on privatizing, defunding, and destroying public education in America.”
But the reality is she is going to spark a needed revival in education to help kids succeed.
This is just the opposite of:
- Politicians who depend on teachers’ unions for campaign donations
- Education bureaucrats, aka educrats
- Corporations/Contractors which benefit from lavish contracts with government school boards
- Elitist families who do not want kids from lower-economic neighborhoods going to their schools
Consider it like this:
Imagine a customer forced to shop at only the nearest grocery store, even though they wanted to go to a better or cheaper one across town. Imagine the same situation for a patient forced to go to only one doctor—the one that works closest to the patient, even though there are plenty of better doctors in the area.
There would be riots and protests!
And yet for kids from working class or poor families, or those who live in inner cities are forced to settle for the one school closest to them?
Parents and students are complaining now – they will not settle for no choice. States should and more law-makers should, too!
Today, only 82% of students graduate from high school, and that number dips to 73% for African-Americans. American students are falling behind in math and science compared to their European counterparts, too.
Why is this happening? Government schools favor keep bad teachers rather than getting rid of them. This and other unjust entitlements come from teachers unions, which demand the strictest protections for teachers, no matter how incompetent (or immoral) they may be. Their political clout is immense. They pick and choose school board candidates, and they threaten state legislators who don’t vote their way on key issues.
School choice, charter schools, and vouchers will destroy the power of these unions and ensure the best education for every kid.
And Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos is the champion of these educational reforms.
With his nomination (and the US Senate confirmation) of Betsy DeVos, President Trump defeated the corrupt phalanx of those greedy, power-hungry special interests.
Secretary of Education DeVos will now be able to:
- Place the needs of American students first
- Expand choice and options
- Protect and promote homeschooling
Secretary DeVos will disrupt the corrupt, statist status quo, Make Education Great Again in the United States!
Please also sign our petitions below:
To end Common Core, click here.
To Stop Predator Teachers, click here.
Tell me what you think. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org